Tuesday, August 28, 2012

AL BAZZZOW

So its Monday And im exhausted already trying to find a interview lol not to mention this week should be awesome i got some real big ones coming. So im going threw my contacts and here comes big al. On the phone with a broker of some sort. Im thinking he's talking to a bookie about this week (WHATEVER YOU DO DONT GO WITH PETERSON LOL) after a smoke break or two we got it on as live as possible. So FRESH OFF A SELF MADE TOUR, BIG AL GONZALES One Of the Originals on the mic of the funny. Just Last week or so me and Big AL met at EL Phefir in Pittsburgh, Ca and i almost got into it with the host believe it or not ! this big huge Hersey's black guy hauling over my bar seat with eyes as big as a blow fish LMAO. Anyway we didnt get to stay for Big Al that night. On the Norm im running into Big Al alot , he used to do this room out in the City i did a showcase and ripped the crowd in half. He comes up after (He Was Hosting) and sets the room off with a Oakland Raiders skit. LOL Anyway You can catch big Al in his fisherman's hat , chilled sweats and a tee. Sometimes a collar shirt. We sat down with him On a beautiful Monday In Martinez ,

The Soup : Wassup Boss Man !!! Hows Life Been ?
BIG AL : Busy..I Just got Off the Phone w/ a Booker/producer about a Arizona Tour

The Soup: Really ? when i Heard bookie i thought oh wow here goes his gambling. DONT PICK PETERSON !
BIG AL : Lol Bad Choice

The Soup: So Other than the up and coming project in Arizona what else have you been up to ?
BIG AL: Nonstop since NYE , sort of a firestorm year for me

The Soup: Yeah while we were recording Escape From L.A I saw you at the Comedy Store Twice. This is a big Yr For you eh ? Well congrats my man.
BIG AL: It Was Rough At first but now we are closer than ever.

The Soup: Where did The Influence of comedy come from with you ?
BIG AL: I grew up listening to Dr. Demento which was a comedy radio program that aired on Sunday nights. They played Weird Al and other comedy bits. And I use to watch Carlin, Pryor, and Steve Martin.

The Soup: As You Know Im A Huge Richard Pryor Fan , R.I.P The Late Great.
BIG AL: Yes a Legend.

The Soup: So Besides Big Al In the Present Time what Comedians, Comedy Shows are you interested in ?
BIG AL: That's a good Question ! Besides your average Comedy Central, and even then Comedy Central T.V comedy is not big on my list of fun things to do.

The Soup: Touchy
BIG AL: Honest...............

The Soup: So What got you into comedy, some odd yrs bk lol
BIG AL:(Chuckles) It's a long story. I grew up a comedy fan. And I did theater up through college. College is where I personally got into comedy. I started as a stage hand for a comedy show at our college theater. Then when I was in journalism, I was assigned to the entertainment section of the college paper and I used that to get interviews with comics and musicians. I used to go to Punch Line, Cobb's and Tommy T's and interviewed comics who then, were coming up but who are now BIG names. I loved going to shows and became a regular in the scene, not as a comic but as a writer. I didn't start doing comedy until years later after a bad a break up and 9/11. ANd I never looked back since.

The Soup. Wow that's interesting So you had a Terrorist Girlfriend and An American Horror Story in one go. Gotta Lost the East Coast
BIG AL: (Just Laughs) ....you gotta start somewhere.

The Soup: Where Can We See You Live ?
BIG AL: I have my shows in The Bay that I still produce and I have shows in LA but I am also doing writing and acting too, professionally. Nothing big (smerks)

The Soup: Any Shows coming up ?
BIG AL: My next really BIG show is with Aries Spears in Stockton. A 2000 seat theater. I was there earlier this year with Eddie Griffin great show! It's produced by my management company ZERX Entertainment. I've been in this profession for 10+ years now

The Soup: 10?!!!!
Big AL: (Smiles) ..Yeah Started in 2001, then got into improvisational comedy for a couple years with Big City Improv in SF, where we were voted "Best In The Bay in 2002" by the SF Bay Guardian. Then got back into stand-up in 2004. Worked the door at Cobb's and Punch Line and learned the behind the scene biz. Then started my own indy shows which led to club shows, which led to regular club work, which led me to moving to LA. And here we are.

The Soup: Pure Brilliance Bro I'd Like to Thank you for blessing us today with this interview.
BIG AL: Check Me Out On Facebook http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/bigalgonzales

The Soup:any More Shout outs ?
BIG Al: Love The sneakers bro

The Soup: Thanx





No comments:

Post a Comment