Friday, August 31, 2012

Priya Prasad : Revenge Of The Jedi

FIRST OFF I WAITED DAYS FOR PRIYA  ...what Better day than Friday to do so? what better place than the soup for the interview ? don't scroll down just yet i promise your gonna love this one !.Now scene !: It Was Sorta Like a date , instead of the guy being late, We exchanged facebook messages while she lay away busy as usual. But Finally after a email or two i finally got ahold of her, One of my favorite comedians. We Met Over Twitter of all things she used to go in on those Tweet topics (Twoopics is my Twitter word) Meanwhile another friend of mine and also another awesome comedian (we wont say her name till she gives me a interview!!!!!!) My standpoint on women in comedy is as follows..We gotta get out to more of these shows. After all with the Bay area being at one of the top 5 places to be a comedian we should at least give these Gals some support. ITS ABOUT TO GO DOWN !!!!! SOUPLY ! (D.J Drama Voice)

T.S: So first Off Where are you these days what are you up to Chicka ?
Priya: I am running around like crazy these days, my calendar has never been so packed in my life. Job during the day, comedy at night!

T.S: You have this very indie style (and i really mean indie) style of comedy where did you develop that ?
Priya: To be honest, I started so late in this game, I had a pretty good sense of self by the time I hit the stage so I just say what feels funny to me, and hope it goes over well! It's worked so far.

T.S: S I'm guessing by Late you would mean you did not grow up doing comedy but transitioned into being a stand-up comedian ? that's ill when i saw you i was like Yo who is ol girl blowing up the sets at the Purple Onion ? absolutely amazing. so i have to know since you didn't grow up doing comedy what were your Top 5 favorite comedians ?  
Priya: Thank you! My Dad is a pretty funny guy, he introduced me to the old greats when I was a kid, so my top 5 of all time, in no particular order, are: Danny Kaye, Jerry Lewis, Steve Martin, Richard Pryor, Mel Brooks ...this is the stuff I was raised on...one of my fave movies is Mel Brooks The History Of The World: Part 1.

Other comedians I love are Eddie Murphy, Louis C.K., Eddie Izzard, Ellen Degeneres, Kathy Griffin, Joan Rivers, Kevin Hart, Seinfeld ...this list can go on and on

T.S: Okay i Can see that i wonder if some of the people out there would ask about the transition into doing stand up from twitter buh i was more interested to see.Where did the brandy " i wanna be Down" part come from ?
Priya: First of all let me say that I LOVE BRANDY... I had her debut album BRANDY on tape and everything!! "Best Friend" was on repeat!
That being said, when Brandy's Reality Show came out I was so shocked at how bad her Lacefront was and I think that was right when I had started Twitter, it was an easy dig. The song just developed in my head one day and I tried it out on stage and it killed!

In fact I should thank Brandy  and her hairdresser for that.



T.S: LOL !My Jam Was "Sitting Up In My Room" buh i loved the joke so Lets say someone who is attending your show for the first time what can they expect ? 
Priya: I don't like to tell people what to expect, it's like seeing a movie after hearing all the reviews, you go into the experience with preconceived notions, and that could end up in disappointment. I tell people to come to my show expecting nothing! Just be ready to give your laughter freely.

T.S:Are you running with a comedy group ? 
Priya: I am a group of one. There is an "i" in teami.

T.S: Lol i agree tho its hard out there for a pimp !I gotta ask you about twitter lol what the hell went over you for these tweets ?
Priya: Twitter was when I started on this comedy ride...joining was such a random thing, I was "forced" or I should say "challenged" to attack #TT's by a comedy writer friend of mine who kept telling me I was funny. Did you notice how I had an opportunity to name drop and I didn't??!! I'm amazing!!

He had me write a guest entry for his blog and needed a website for people to contact me so I started a Twitter account. If you haven't read it here is the blog I wrote on Neck Tattoos:

http://imcoolonthat.wordpress.com/2009/11/30/the-neck-tattoo/


What was great about Twitter was I always felt like out doing the last funny tweet, if I got 20 RTs on the last one I had to try and get 22 on the next. And it was the pressure to keep up with the big dogs who were pro-comedians going in on topics. I loved getting comments from followers telling me I was funny and should be a comedian. Slowly other comedians started telling me to get on stage, then it just kind of happened. Two of my most RT'd tweets I will never forge:

 Dear Black girlfriends of mine... How come I can go in the rain w/my hair, but u can't go in the rain w/ my hair?

#ThingsBetterThanTheCarterIV The Bible on tape ...narrated by Fantasia


Twitter has changed since then, but that was a fun/funny time! Not sure if I answered your question. haha.


T.S: Lol No Joke Twitter has went from Fab & bow Wo Beef to..gangbang sluts and Lil B LMAO thank god for the originals !, Now you have completely showed yo ass i gotta come see you! do you have a list of shows you can plug us with on top of your twitter ?. We want to welcome you to the family !
Priya: Thanks so much! I update my FB Fan Page --> Priya Prasad Comedy with my upcoming shows.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Priya-Prasad-Comedy/166988876699656

Coming up I am on the lineup for the Sacramento Comedy Festival Sept 7th, 10:30pm at the Sacramento Comedy Spot.


T.S: Any shout outs ?
Priya: Yaay! name dropping time! There are so many comedians who I appreciate for their support and belief in my skills, too many to list.

I will keep it simple and shoutout Nile Evans, without his encouragement and friendship I would have NEVER gotten into comedy...ever...eva eva eva. And shout out to my Mom, Dad & Lord Ganesh, just cause Hindu Gods never get a shoutout.

T.S: Your crazy Girl lmao ! You heard it here first now get up go GOOGLE ma Girl !!!! You gotta attend at least one Priya show in your life...And i brought a snippet..WE TAKING OVER !!! LMAO #CHAMPAGNE  Heres A Snippet !


1 comment:

  1. Good Job! Good Interview. Nice blog. I've seen her live and she is very funny!

    ReplyDelete